Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Because Karen said...

Our mini quilt group met for sit and stitch this morning and while there my friend Karen mentioned that I haven't been updating my blog very often. I told her that's because I haven't had any good photos to share. So just to appease Karen, I decided to post of photo of an old quilt.

I started this submarine quilt in my first 5 day class with Ruth McDowell at the Empty Spools Seminars in Pacific Grove, CA. Because Jerry served in the submarine service for 20 years, I'd always wanted to make him a submarine quilt. Ruth helped me achieve that goal. I used a lot of the reverse side of the fabrics for this quilt - including the entire outside border. All of Jerry's duty stations, and the dates during which he was assigned to each, are listed on the back of the quilt. (We had to go through his service records to figure all that out!) There are also several duty station patches on the back as well as on old cross stitched set of dolphins (a pin that submariners wear once they've qualified aboard submarines - explanation and photo can be found here)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK - I must be tired - I didn't see a submarine until I read your post - I saw a man in a hat - or the shadow of one. Dick Tracy?? LOL Thanks for a new post. Why do you think you need a picture each time. Yes, they are worth a thousand words - but words from Corky are pretty priceless!

Kristen Lawrence said...

I did a google search on submarine quilts and came across this post. Just wanted to say that your quilt is amazing. My husband is a submariner and I hope to make something similiar to yours. Beautiful job!