Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Voting

It seems like this election has been going on for years and years and I'm glad it's finally coming to an end. I don't know why the US can't be like the UK and Canada in its election process. The Prime Minister calls for an election - sets the date - and 6 weeks later the citizens go vote.

Jerry, Craig and Noah have been in Florida at the Universal theme park for the past few days. They'll be home late tonight. Since he wouldn't be here for voting Jerry needed to either vote early or by absentee ballot. Two weeks ago we went up to the county seat for him to vote. The wait was about 30 minutes and against my advice he decided not to wait. He requested an absentee ballot, but it never arrived. Last Friday (on Halloween) back he went to vote. It took him 5 hours. He admitted he should have listened to me.

I figured that my wait on the actual day wouldn't be nearly as long as Jerry's had been, but boy was I wrong. It took 4 1/2 hours today. While we were waiting one of the guys in line had a pizza delivered to him! He was a cop in uniform and as much as I would have like to steal his pizza, I didn't want to tangle with an armed man!

In spite of the long wait everyone in line seemed in fairly good spirits. I sure hope they figure out how to streamline the process before the next big election.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i can't help thinking it's awesome that there has been such long lines all over... people taking a greater interest in public issues is always a good thing