Monday, October 26, 2009

What I've been working on



(click for larger view)
It's really hard to see what is going on with this piece. I started with a Jinny Beyer border print which was cut and pieced back together. It originally was supposed to be a square but I could not get the design to match up in the middle. I eventually ended up tweaking the center and it turned into a rectangle. I still had some match-up issues but not as bad as it originally was.

What this photo doesn't show very well is the embellishment. I first used some of my machine's decorative stitches and followed along some of the stripes in the fabric with a scallop (using a variegated thread) and two different width fill designs using metallic threads. I then heavily beaded the entire piece following along with both the fabric design and the scallop stitch.

Once I sandwich the piece I may follow the suggestion of my friend Virginia and do a simple serpentine stitch along a few of the very narrow stripes as the final quilting stitch. I also need to decide if I want to add any additional beading.

While working on this I tentatively named it "To bead or not to bead..." What do you think about that name?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stunning.

Del said...

If one clicks on the picture to enlarge the details are very clear. Nice work, Corky.

Vicki said...

You are a brave soul. I love it, but it looks tough.