Monday, March 25, 2013

Disappearing 4 Patch

While browsing around on Pinterest I saw this take on the disappearing 4 patch and thought it was interesting.

Hayden recently asked me to make her a quilt and she had some very specific wishes on how it should look.  One side "should be yellow and pink squares" and the other should have "a pink dog and a yellow cat on a light blue background."  I decided that I would use the disappearing 4 patch to make her pink and yellow square side.  I know it's not really what she asked for, but hopefully she'll think it's okay.

I started with a basic 4 patch using 6" squares - so it measured 12.5" at this point:



Then I marked 2 inches in from each corner:

 

I put the block on my rotating cutting board and cut a diagonal line from the upper left corner to the lower right. Then I turned the board and continued making cuts from the upper left to lower right until I had made 4 cuts without disturbing the block until all the cuts were made.





























The pieces were swapped around to look like this:















Then sewn together in 3 sections.


















Finally the block was trimmed up to 9.5"














Here are several on the design wall.  Sure hope Hayden likes them.  Now to work on that cat & dog!











1 comment:

What Comes Next? said...

looking good! I'm pleased to see someone using my tutorial.