Friday, June 29, 2007

Fractured Quilt

I'm taking part in Tomme Fent's fractured quilt challenge. There are 40 of us taking part. We were all provided with this photo of a flower that had been cut into four segments. (the blotch on the right side of the segment on the top left is the result of me spilling paint when I was trying to add shadowing and color depth to my pieces)




We each are to construct a quilt the exact size of the photo and are to do our quilt in segments as well (adding seam allowances). All of our work is supposed to be sent to Tomme by July 9th. She will then mix up all the segments and baste 4 random ones together and return a basted quilt to each of the 40 participants. We then have to embellish as we wish and quilt the work and forward photos to Tomme.

I've actually made my segments twice now. I just didn't like the first effort very much and besides, when I spilled the paint on the photo, I also spilled it on one of the segments!

Here is what I finally ended up with.



I'm still not completely satisfied with the final product, but I'm going to have to go with it because I've run out of time. I'm still trying to decide whether I want to do any embellishment before I send out the segments. Some people have done a bit to highlight the pollen on the flower.

I took this project with me to Karen's for TTT. She was surprised at my 'working style' because I do a lot of contemplation before making a decision, while she was busily doing some machine applique and got a lot done in comparison to my limited progress.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I think it looks wonderful and I would have a hard hard time sending it off for someone else. I'm basically a very selfish little princess! I took some great pics of those saucer plate hibiscus the other day - can we do those together??

Laume said...

I can see how it would be fun to add some gold beads or sumthin' for the pollen if you have the time. Regardless, however, your results are amazingly 3-D! How did you DO that!?

Samantha said...

This sounds like a really neat project! I love what you have so far!