Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Old projects

One of my goals this year is to "stop starting projects and start finishing some" To that end I pulled out a project that's about a year and a half old.

I started this in a Quilt University class called Darned Quilts by Dena Crain. It was the first session of the class and I was amazed at the wonderful quilts that resulted. All I accomplished by the end of the 4 week class was to construct the background. I pieced it out of fabrics that I dyed in another QU class.

Last week I sat down and embellished the background - adding the ribbons, rickrack and embroidery stitches. Then, I cut the circles out of the quilt (Dena calls them bubbles) and swapped them out - plugging the holes with a same sized circle from another location. The circles are stitched in using the machine's darning stitch - thus the name Darned Quilts.

I think I'm going to redo the border. Now that it's on I think I should have mitered the corners. What do you think? (click for larger view)




Here's a detail.



I think I'm going to name this "Those Darned Bubbles" but I'm not 100% sure yet. Dena recommends just some simple curved line quilting - which suits me just fine.

Another project I've been working on is an outfit for Hayden. Chrystal, the kids, and Chrys' folks are going to Disney World over the upcoming 3 day Martin Luther King holiday. I found this Disney princess fabric and decided to make something for her to wear on the trip. We tried it on over the top she was already wearing - it doesn't really have pinkish/orangish fabric at the neckline. The photo doesn't show the top's bottom border which is made of the same fabric as the yoke. I also made a pair of pants from the yoke/border fabric.



What have YOU been working on?

5 comments:

Pam said...

Borders look fine to me. There are no 45 degree angles in the main quilt body. Quilt large loopie circles/bubbles in the border and that will draw your eye from the straight edges.

Judy Heyward said...

Congratulations on getting into that unfinished box and pulling out a wonderful project to finish. Really wild! And yes, I think the mitered corners would be better--if you have enough fabric.

Del said...

Great little quilt, Corky. Of course, the wonderful color appeals to me. I think it would look better w/mitered corners - the border fabric seems to need it.

KK said...

Miter miter miter!! That's really a WOW quilt top.

Anonymous said...

Corky, I like the quilt very much. Great colors. Hayden looks so cute in her outfit. I need toget on the finishe UFo's bandwagon. What did I do this weekend but start 2 new projects!!! Sheila