Sunday, May 10, 2009

Catching up

I didn't realize it had been so long since I last posted. Time just gets away sometimes.

I don't think I ever posted a photo of my project from the Empty Spools Seminar at Asilomar. My class was with Susan Carlson who does fabric collage work. The first evening of class she showed us how she works with small scraps of fabric. She suggested we might want to cut bits off of the larger pieces of fabric we'd brought with us. That put an image in my mind (and of others in the class) of needing to work with really small pieces of fabric.

When I began designing my seahorses I was using those small bits and really did not like the way it was turning out. It took me a day or so to decide that I needed to work in bigger chunks of fabric. Once I started doing that I was happier with how the work was developing. Here's what the work looked like in class. (click photo for larger view)



I finally put this back up on my design wall here at home this week and have begun tweaking it. Now that I can rummage through my entire stash I've replaced some of the fabrics with ones I feel work better. I haven't decided on the background treatment yet, but it will be in ocean colors. While in class I dubbed this George and Gracie. Don't know if that's what the final title will be, but that's what I'm mentally calling it right now.

No comments: