Friday, December 03, 2010

Here comes Santa Claus

Several months ago my friend Janice & I were in a quilt shop and admired an embroidered quilt that was there to be quilted. It was a Jenny Haskins design. We were told that in order to embroider a quilt like that we would need to know how to do multi-hoop designs. Neither of us had ever done that so we signed up for one of their classes that teach how to multi-hoop. Cindy & Judy also expressed an interest in learning the technique so we all attended the class last Monday. Our project was a cute Santa. He required 9 separate hoopings.

Janice and I were able to finish our projects.



It wasn't a smooth project for any of us. Poor Judy had machine problems early on and ended up having to leave her machine with the shop for repair. The rest of us went astray at about the 4th or 5th hooping. After MUCH angst and some brainstorming (plus a good bit of unsewing) we were able to figure out how to get all the parts lined up. Cindy still has some stitching to go and Judy may have to start over now that she has her machine back.

I like Janice's darker background better than mine. You can't see the gold design on my fabric - it just looks kind of yellow in this photo. For some reason the photo makes Janice's Santa look bigger than mine, but they're the same size.

It was fun to do but I think I'll take a bit of an embroidery break before trying a Jenny Haskins design!

1 comment:

Del said...

This is machine embroidery - right? I've never heard of multi hooping, but I have never tried machine emb. Looks like you did a great job.