Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Scarves redux

Back before Christmas I made a bunch of frilly scarves from a self ruffling yarn.  I posted about it here   I sent all those scarves to my mother thinking she could share them with the other residents in her retirement home.   Turns out she gave them as Christmas gifts to all of the female members of our family. 

When we were up visiting my mother last month she mentioned that one of the workers at the home had expressed an interest in getting one of the scarves so I stopped at the local Joann Fabric store and bought yarn to make several more while I was there.  (we don't have Joann Fabrics here so I always make sure I make a stop there every visit - after I stop at DSW Shoe Warehouse in the same shopping center!!)

When I got home my friend Joanne was visiting from her new home in Florida and she shared a new frilly scarf made out of a chiffon fabric rather than yarn.  I was immediately intrigued and went online that night and ordered several hanks of the chiffon.

It's really cool because there are holes in the top of the fabric that are used for the knitting.  See those black circles near the top?  If I had a drill press I could probably make my own "yarn."  (click photos for larger view)



This stuff knits up a little slower than the real yarn but is still easy to work with.  I like the way it looks as it takes shape.


The included pattern calls for casting on 8 stitches but on Joanne's recommendation I only did 5 and think it's a good size.




This is the name of the stuff.




1 comment:

Del said...

Glad to see you blogging again. I passed your message on to Mary.