Saturday, August 28, 2010

Getting off the couch

Years ago (about 20) I used to run. I never actually ran, it was more like a slow jog, but I entered numerous races. Most races saw me finish way in the back sometimes just in front of the police cruiser with its flashing lights indicating the end of the race. I even received a special Turtle Award trophy for being the last finisher in one race. The longest race I ever ran was a half marathon and I was the last uninjured finisher - but heck I finished!

I did win the women's category in a one mile race once but the weather was so bad that only 3 women entered the race and the other 2 dropped out before finishing the mile.

After we moved from Charleston to Columbia SC I tweaked my knee - probably because Columbia wasn't flat like Charleston and the hills were not kind to the joints-and I gradually stopped running.

Here we are 20 years later (and back in flat Charleston) and I got a bug that I wanted to try to run again. I know that just walking is better on the joints but I never could get enthused about just taking a walk around the neighborhood.

I came across a program called Couch to 5K on the Cool Running.com site and decided to give it a go. It's a 9 week program that starts with more walking than running. Week one had intervals of 90 seconds of running followed by 60 seconds of walking. Each successive week has more running and less walking until one builds up to 35 minutes of straight running - presumably enough to complete a 5K in a timely manner.

When I first started the program I got to week 2 and my knee started bothering me. I immediately went to the doctor who prescribed physical therapy. I learned lots of great stretches and strengthening techniques and the knee feels pretty good now. I restarted the program at week one and am now 6 weeks in.

I don't have a race goal in mind to test my new found 5K abilities, but need to schedule something just to keep me motivated.

See you on the roads!

1 comment:

janice said...

Corky - I'm so glad your knee is better. My daughter, Michelle, has recently taken up running. I'm sure she could fill you in on an upcoming community event. A couple of weeks ago we enjoyed cheering her on for a Saturday morning 3K in Summerville. Living vicariously on this works for me! janice aa